Through out our 265+ years of history, many building changes have occurred here at The Cranbury Inn. Tom and Gay Ingegneri have made yet another change to The Cranbury Inn's structure; in the form of an 18th Century, timber frame, seven bay Dutch barn that replaces the "big barn" that burned to the ground on October the 8th of 1902. Our timber frame barn was engineered and constructed by Dreaming Creek in Powhatan, VA. It is a 3,200 sq. ft., 200+ seat, dining room used for á la carte dining as well as special occasions such as weddings and other banquet needs. Now that our project is completed, The Cranbury Inn seats 400. We worked with Construction Management Associates Inc. in Allentown, New Jersey and Schroeder/Perez Architects in East Windsor, New Jersey.
Our oldest original tavern was built in the 1750's, and, our other original tavern was built in 1765. The innkeeper's house was built across the front of these two original taverns in 1800, the Main Dining Room was built around 1932 & various changes to the kitchen area occurred in the 1900's. 2005 marked the fourth century to see construction here at The Cranbury Inn.
In support of our expanded facility, there is The Legacy lobby, with a wood burning fireplace, off of which are handicapped accessible bathrooms for both Ladies and Gentlemen, and a modern, expanded kitchen facility.
There is a loft in the barn for dining and walking around to view the structure and taking photos. In keeping with the plate rail surrounding our present dining rooms, a plate rail enhances the underside of the Legacy Lobby Loft on both levels as well as enhancing the walls of the new bathrooms.
Many plates have been donated to The Inn for these plate rails; these new additions to our collection are labeled with the owner's name and the date of the donation for reference in the future and for families to enjoy for years to come in seeing their plates and platters on display here at The Cranbury Inn.
Our present structures remain in tact and the definition of the two original taverns and the innkeeper's house remain discernible. Check-out the roof lines from the parking lot! The bar in our lounge has been in its location since 1978 when the old bar from our Lafayette Tavern Room was sold to Lahiere's Restaurant in Princeton. The Lounge bar remains in its location and a portion of the east wall of the lounge is our connection to the legacy facility.
Our site was enhanced with expanded walkways, parking, and landscaping; all designed for your safety, convenience, and enhancement of your dining pleasure here at The Cranbury Inn.